Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I thought long and hard about whether I should write this post or not, and then I decided that I will. I don't care if people who know me think this is personal. It isn't. And I won't justify myself.

Plagiarism is illegal. More than that, it's sick and wrong. Especially when done by someone who pretends to be holier-than-thou about it. Which is why I was shocked when I saw that this talented person's art had been blatantly copied here, without the original writer having been given any credit whatsoever.

I have been plagiarized by someone I used to know in the past, and I remember the outrage and heartbreak I felt. It caused me to make my older blog private, and the posts in my new blog to be of a much lower quality.

The writer who has been copied is in the process of getting her works published. Some of these works have been stolen and the writer is considering deleting her Deviant Art account. This is what plagiarism does - it prevents original artists from sharing their work with the world.

I am not going to launch into a tirade here, because I will not sink to that level. I'll just say that this is one step too far, and a line has been crossed, and that I sincerely hope that people learn from the consequences.

blog comments powered by Disqus